skip to main content


Edgenuity online courses are available for students in need of credit recovery.  The student is assigned the class for one period during the school day.  The student works on the online class during this period at school and is also expected to do so at home after school hours.  This class will only be effective for credit recovery if the student works on the program regularly outside of school hours and attends class everyday.  Priority for this class is given to upper classmen and must be approved by the counselor and/or assistant principal.  Many Edgenuity classes are approved by the CSU and UC universities.  However, they are not approved by the NCAA.

Our summer school courses may vary from year to year due to the district budget and staffing.  Over the past few years we have been able to offer two sessions of summer school at GHS, during the first three weeks of summer break.  This gives a student the opportunity to make up two semester long courses in which they earned a D or F grade. Enrollment is first come, first served and counselors will discuss this with students when they meet with them in the spring.


Students are allowed (but not required) to enroll in an online class outside of school and can take up to one class per semester.  There are a variety of approved programs but you must get consent from your counselor and assistant principal BEFORE registering for the class.  Students taking a course to meet college entrance requirements are responsible for verifying approval by contacting the university and/or by visiting the UC Doorways website.  Click here for the approval form required for online courses. 

Students must obtain a Concurrent Enrollment Authorization Form from their counselor in order to take a community college course.  Community college courses are on a different schedule than Grossmont High School so it can be difficult to coordinate.  If you do take a course at the community college, keep in mind that you will be treated as a college student.  You will need to stay on top of your coursework and requirements.  Any class you take at the community college is part of your college record for life no matter where you end up in college so make sure you get a good grade or drop the class according to the college's procedures, if necessary.  Click here for more information and to find the authorization form.  Once you have filled it out, bring it to your counselor for approval.  Grossmont and Cuyamaca Colleges recently started using a digital form that will be routed to the parent and counselor via email.

The Home Choice Office is located at 301 N. Mollison in El Cajon and offers several different home school and independent study options.  You must be referred by your counselor.  Click here for more information.